Monday, June 19, 2006

ROUTINE*~


Sometimes I wish my routine was a dancing routine with Fred Astaire, and I am Ginger Rogers!!!

Reality check, Terri. It is not 1936 and you are NOT Ginger Rogers...in "Swing Time."

WHY!?!?!?!?!!!!!!


I find myself asking this question a lot lately.

This is MY routine:

Wake up. Feed the kids. Do the dishes. Clean the house. blah, blah, blah.
Where are the rewards? I guess some would argue that the reward is your children, although sometimes I fail to see that as a reward. ( you must understand that sometimes as a Mother, you DO feel burdened by them, though it's not all the time and you don't love them any less... yes this is a disclosure!) Shouldn't dancing in "Swing Time" with Fred be a part of that routine? C'mon, man. It'd be cool.

I was thinking the other day about the routine that I used to have when I was single and without little ones and a partner to take care of. My routine was simple. I would get up, take a shower, go to work, come home, hang out with Traci my sister that I used to be roommates with, and then maybe go out for drinks with friends, or just hang out by myself.

Oh but how life has changed.
I no longer have the freedom to just go do whatever it is that I want at my heart's desire. There is like this "clearance" sort of phase that I must go through in order to prepare to do anything. You see, the difference between being alone without anyone else to care for, and being responsible for children and a relationship, you have to "plan" things. Now, I've NEVER been one for planning. I have always been the "fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal."
But now, even if I want to go to the store, there is much planning involved. The "just-in-cases." Just in case the baby needs a diaper change in the middle of grocery shopping. -Take the diaper bag. Are there any diapers and wipes in the diaper bag? Then, there's the all puzzeling question. "WHERE THE HELL is THE DIAPER BAG???" Oh. And "where the hell are my keys?" That's one I have been struggling with ever since getting pregnant with Willow. I think Motherhood makes you lose a lot of your faculities.
Never before have I lost things more, than since I've been a Mother. What the hell's that all about? God must have a sense of humor, even if it is seemingly cruel to me. He's probably laughing everytime I forget something and have to turn the car around to go home and get it.
Even if I can't be Ginger Rogers in "Swing Time," I still have my girls and that's more than good enough for me.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Looks like I have a lot to look forward to. Planning is something that I am not that great at either. When I get to that point I am sure I will feel your pain. ;)

Terri said...

word, sister. word.

Lollygagger said...

Terri,

I think there are VERY few more important things than what you do for your kids.

I am a footloose and fancy-free single gal, but I have to say sometimes having a bit more responsibility would be very good for me. This summer teaching I think is helping me to be more dependable, etc. Here's hoping!

Thanks for your encouraging words on my blog! I am already getting sad to leave the kids in India. I went home on the bus with some of my kids yesterday and now I know where they live and...it makes me want to just take them home with me. I just need to remember that what I'm doing now will maybe help them a little and also that they have moms and dads who must love them and want the best for them too.

TRACI said...

Ahhh.... Swing Time! The good old days... We all will be in your shoes some day!!!! You should DANCE every day!!!

Terri said...

Oh little Laudder!!!

Thank you for the nice compliment.
And you are welcome for the words of encouragement on your blog*

Those kids sound really great. And you are such a cool teacher, I'm sure! They're probably like, "Oh. The Amellican guhl! We love huh!"
But seriously. They will never forget the experience that they share with you. Afterall. You are a Sudderradder kid, like Lidder. So ya can't be all that bad!
Just be yourself and they will love you more than the splintered rulered-teacher, for sure.
Can't wait to see ya at our TEA PARTY in August! -Oh and about that... We should totally ask your parents if we can have it in their dining room like old times!!
Love you Laudder*
Tedder)))

Terri said...

Yeah, T!
"Dancing through life. Skimming the surface. Gliding where turf is smoooo-o-o-oth! Life is fraught-less, when you're thoughtless. Those who don't try, never look foolish...!"

lily said...

Oh Terri!

I think there are downsides to every phase in life...Ginger Rogers would have bloody feet after Fred was done rehearsing her to death, and everything looks better in black and white!
I never thought of the planning aspect of being a mom, that is definitely not something I will be good at either. I guess the grass is always greener, because right now I would love nothing more than to be a mom! But yeah, it is a definite life change, and you are doing a great job at it. Your kids are amazing and smart as well as adorable.
I think that would be a blast to have the party in my mom's dining room... I talked to Emly today and we really need to get a date solidified.
Hang in there!

Lidder