Thursday, August 03, 2006

"YOU'RE IRRITATING ME!!!"


So, yesterday as I was trying to manage all things house-wise and the kids, I sat down briefly to the computer for a little break. Up skulks Willow in her attempt to get my attention and thus wake the baby, 10 mins into her morning nap. Kicking the computer chair. Whining loudly. Making sounds that I had never heard her make before. - Damn near driving me insane,
she says " YOU'RE IRRITATING ME!!!"
"Why, Willow? What have I done to irritate you so badly?"
"YOU'RE NOT LISTENING TO ME!"
"What were you trying to tell me?"
"THAT YOU'RE IRRITATING ME AND I'M BEING INSANE NOW!"
It's moments like these that one must reflect on what one says as a parent in times of annoyance.
(deep breath, Mommy.) I remind myself.
"Willow. I know you hear Mommy say things like "I'm so irritated. and Please STOP annoying me!!!" But, those are not nice things to say to someone... Can we try to NOT say these things to each other anymore?"
"Yeah."
"I'm sorry that I've told you that you irritate me sometimes, Willow."
"I'm sorry that you irritate me sometimes too, Mommy."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That is really funny!

Kids pick up the darnest things... too bad they have such EXCELLENT memories! I have a lot to look forward to, I can tell.

TRACI said...

Yep, they sure do... LOL! Willow is so your daughter... Love to you both! ;)