Monday, July 17, 2006

Summer Swimmin'


This morning I took the girls swimming to Steiner.
I forgot how much I love to be in water when it is BLAAAZING hot outside.
Willow got a life jacket-thingy-suit and today was her first try with it, so we were coaxing her (Olivia and I) into the 4ft. part of the kiddie pool without touching her hands. -Man she freaked at first. The fear in her little eyes. Oh, it was sad to see it. I felt like I was a little girl again being frightened of the water. That feeling of certain death. You think you're going to die of one big-gulp of water into your lungs and then... Mommy saves the day. Well. I did! No. really though. You remember that feeling? The pppanic-eee one that you imagine your lungs engulfed with water and no one there to rescue you? Well, maybe I was just super-dramatic. -whatever. How strange though. The way the memories started to spill out from my childhood. My good ol' days of summer at the pools with friends and family.
I remember when I was about 13 0r 14 and I was at someone's pool that lived in our neighborhood in Sandy. It was like a new condo, with a pool. I think it was a lady that I used to babysit for. Anyway. There were a bunch of guys there that were in our ward. Tony Verde, Dana something, Kenny Tisor and I think that the Openshaw's were there.- Hot-cha- cha- Cory Openshaw. (for those of you that don't know these people, don't worry about it... just trying to paint a picture to those of you who know who I am speaking of. Anyway (again)- I didn't know how to dive. All the boys that were swimming at the pool didn't believe me that I didn't, so they all threw me in the pool. At that point in my life, I had never been taught to properly swim. I was pretty much not as frightened of the water as I was pre-pubecent years. But none the less, frightened and unprepared.
I sort of drown a bit that day. They started to take me seriously when I didn't come straight out of the water like Bo-Derrick on the beach. I recall flailing alot. I remember the fear when I was submerged in the water and thinking that I would never see the light of day again. - I know. Such a drama QUEEN. They eventually got the picture when I was flailing, and I think Kenny rescued me. Well, that day I decided to never again feel that unprepared with swimming, so the next month, I went river rafting. - I learned to swim on the Snake River. -sheeit yeah.

That look on Willow's face today reminded me of this experience in my life... Ron is teaching her to swim tonight.
And I hope she never feels that scared in the water again.

No comments: